Sir Isaac Newton arranged for the purchase of Crane Court, which was home to the Royal Society for 70 years.
Crane Court was the Royal Society's second home and was used from 1710 to 1780.
Isaac Newton, then President of the Royal Society, informed the Council in October 1710 that a price of £1,450 had been agreed for the private residence in Crane Court of the late Dr Brown, along with an adjacent property. This gave the Society a home of its own for the first time, albeit on a much reduced scale from the rooms that had been available in Gresham College, and provided additional income from leasing the smaller of the two houses. Crane Court, one of a series of small alleys running north from Fleet Street just east of Fetter Lane, is still in existence, though its appearance has changed greatly since the Royal Society's day.
The eighteenth-century Crane Court contained a room "25½ foot long and 16 foot broad" for the Society's meetings, together with a room redesigned by Christopher Wren in 1711-12 for the Repository, a triangular area used as a Library reading place for Fellows, and further smaller rooms. A modest garden and a coach-house and stables completed the premises. Meeting nights were indicated by a lamp hung over the Fleet Street entrance to the courtyard.