The Royal Society (we) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand how we will use your personal data. Personal data is any information that relates to you from which you can be identified by us.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is The Royal Society of 6-9 Carlton House Terrace London SW1Y 5AG.
- royalsocietypublishing.org (all subdomains)
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following personal data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our sites and information provided by you at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to any services, purchasing any products or services through our sites, registering for an event or if you request further information about us or anything we do. We may also ask you for information for other purposes, for example when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We or a third party engaged by us for the purpose may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of purchases or other transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
- Any other personal data you choose to provide to us from time to time or that you post on our sites.
- Personal data provided to us by third parties in accordance with the law.
- Personal data in the form of nomination forms relating to nominees and nominators. This data will be used for the purpose of selection for awards, by the relevant award committee, and will be retained for the duration of consideration, as specified for the award.
We may sometimes collect information about the computer or device you use to access our sites, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration.
On royalsocietypublishing.org and its subdomains, access to subscription content is provided based on IP address. We will collect and use your computer's IP address to ensure you have the access rights to which you are entitled as part of an institutional subscription and to monitor or control access in accordance with your or your organisation's relevant subscription. Individual users are personally not identified in this process, only their computer or device.
In some instances we may report aggregate information to third parties we engage for particular purposes. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify you or any individual personally.
Where we store your personal data
The personal data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") including the United States.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology and any credit, debit card or payment details you submit online will be processed and held by our third party payment processor, RBS WorldPay. We do not hold credit or debit card data ourselves.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do what we reasonably can to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site and any such transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use appropriate procedures and security features to try to protect your personal data against unauthorised or unlawful access or accidental loss, destruction or damage.
Uses made of the information
We use personal data held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us (for example, our newsletters) or which we feel may interest you. This may be by post, email or other electronic means where you have expressly consented to be contacted for such purposes, or if you have purchased goods or services from us previously, we may contact you with information about similar goods or services that may be of interest.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to any service we have contracted to provide you with.
If you do not want us to pass your personal data on in this way, please let us know.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that our organisation merges, transfers its assets or is acquired in which case your personal data may be one of the merged, transferred or acquired assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to establish, defend or enforce our legal rights or to protect the rights, property, or safety of The Royal Society, our customers or others with whom we interact. This includes exchanging information with other organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction or the police or regulatory authorities.
Under the Data Protection Act, you have certain rights such as the right to ask us to stop using your personal data to send you marketing or fundraising materials. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us by mail or e-mail to the contact addresses below.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to other, third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or how your data is used by these third parties. Please check the relevant policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Data Protection Act gives you certain rights to be told about the personal data we hold about you. If you wish to make such a request, please contact us (at the address below). Please note that before we can respond to your request, we may ask for a fee of £10 to meet our administration costs and may also ask you for further information to verify your identity.
The Royal Society
6-9 Carlton House Terrace
London SW1Y 5AG
Or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org