In June 2013 we held a number of free regional workshops to seek views of teachers and educational professionals from around the UK.
The feedback from these workshops will help us to create a vision for science and mathematics education.
We have visited:
- Cornwall: The Eden Project, St Austell
- Birmingham: Thinktank Science Museum
- Manchester: Museum of Science & Industry
- York: National Science Learning Centre
The workshop covered topics such as:
- the teaching profession
- school-to-work transition
- school leadership
- technology in the learning environment
- future knowledge and skills
- accountability for the future
These teacher focused consultations have created debate and brought forward a number of exciting ideas that will be incorporated into the Vision. Across the workshops, there have in particular been two recurring themes: how can we increase validity in assessment systems and what should the relationship between professionalism and teaching look like?
A report covering all of the workshops in detail will be made available and published here in due course.