Am I eligible to apply?
You can apply for this scheme if you are a current Royal Society University Research Fellow or Dorothy Hodgkin Fellow.
What does the scheme involve?
A three month secondment on a full or part time basis with the BBC.
The scope of the activities during the secondment will be agreed between the Research Fellow and the BBC; however, previous participants have had the opportunity to:
- Gain experience of production on programmes such as Horizon, Stargazing Live and other programmes across BBC Science
- Learn more about the production process from idea to transmission
- Get involved with development and research of ideas either in a specialist subject or across a broad range of science
- Use specialist knowledge to contribute to production or development of a programme
- Spend time both on location and in the cutting room
- Get an in-depth understanding of the broadcasting landscape and the role of the BBC in British media.
When would I start?
The 2016 Royal Society BBC Secondments are scheduled to run between February and August 2016, but this can be changed if needed.
What is the application process?
Applications are assessed by the Royal Society and the BBC.