Am I eligible to apply?
The proposed research must be within the Royal Society's remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to biological research, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics. For a full list, see our guidance. The Royal Society does not cover clinical medicine (such as patient orientated research and clinical trials), social sciences or humanities.
You can apply for this scheme if both you and the overseas co-applicant:
- hold a PhD or have equivalent research experience
- hold a fixed or permanent contract at an eligible organisation for the duration of the project (ineligible organisations include industrial, private and commercial organisations, university spin-out companies and government bodies)
- are based in the respective countries at the time of the application.
Researchers can collaborate between any UK or US university or recognised independent research organisation and the following universities in Hong Kong:
- Chinese University of Hong Kong
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- University of Hong Kong.
What is the scheme’s value and tenure?
The scheme provides funding of up to £3,000 for up to three months covering expenses for one-off travel and subsistence between the UK or US and Hong Kong.
What is the application process?
Applications should be submitted through the Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant®.
Your application will go through the process detailed on the making a grant application page overseen by the International Exchanges Panel.
You will be notified of the result of the application process four months after the closing date of the round you have applied for.
We are committed to supporting applicants with disabilities. If you require a reasonable adjustment during the application process, please email us to let us know.
For more information regarding the scheme, please email the Grants team or visit our contact us page.