This scheme aims to:
- Strengthen research capacity of the partner countries - by facilitating training and skill transfer from the UK to partner countries
- Support excellent research - by linking the best researchers in the UK with the best researchers and their groups in partner countries and providing support for initial exploratory research
- Establish long term research links - between both partners to ensure sustainable research capacity in partner countries and benefit to the UK research community in the longer term
Research must be within the Royal Society’s remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to biological research, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics. For a full list, please see the breakdown of subject groups and areas supported by the Royal Society.
Am I eligible to apply?
Awards are currently only available for scientists in the following countries:
Before applying, please ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes.
What is the scheme’s value and tenure?
The funding available is dependent upon the length of the visit. You can request:
- up to of £3,000 for one-off travel lasting up to three months
- up to £6,000 for multiple visits to be completed within one year
- up to £12,000 for multiple visits to be completed within two years and cost share projects fixed at two years
This scheme is funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills as part of the Newton Fund.
What is the application process?
Applications should be submitted through the Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant®.
Your application will go through the process detailed on the Making a grant application page overseen by the International Exchanges Panel.
You will be notified of the result of the application process four months after the closing date of the round you have applied for.
We are committed to supporting applicants with disabilities. If you require a reasonable adjustment during the application process, please contact the team firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Opportunities for successful applicants
Successful candidates may wish to consider subsequently applying for a Newton International Fellowship or Newton Advanced Fellowship to consolidate partnerships.
Read further guidance about the Newton Fund.
For more information regarding the scheme, please contact the Grants team on email@example.com or call us on +44 20 7451 2666.