What does the scheme involve?
A three month policy secondment (as a Policy Associate) on a full time basis or six to nine month policy secondment on a part-time basis within a Government department.
The scope of the activities during the secondment will be agreed between the Policy Associate and the relevant host organisation; however, you will have the opportunity to:
- Receive first-hand experience of how scientific research and other evidence inform the policy making process
- Develop networks with policy organisations and officials in areas allied to your research interest
- Network with thought leaders in research, industry and policy
- Develop your understanding of potential routes to achieving research impact
When would I start?
The 2018 Science Policy Secondments are scheduled to start between October 2018 and March 2019.
What support is offered?
- Policy Associates may request travel and subsistence costs of up to £3,000 based on location and proximity to the host organisation
- Research Fellows undertaking this secondment will be able to extend their fellowship by the period of the secondment (up to a maximum of three months). During the period of the secondment, Research Fellows will continue to be funded by the Royal Society.
Am I eligible to apply?
University Research Fellows and Dorothy Hodgkin Fellows applying to this scheme must have already completed the first year of their fellowship at the time of application. Normally those with less than 18 months left of their fellowship at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
How do I apply for this scheme?
Applications can only be submitted online using the Royal Society’s Grants and Awards management system (Flexi-Grant®) via the above link. If you have not previously used Flexi-Grant®, please follow the registration process from the Flexi-Grant®, homepage. Paper-based applications will not be accepted.
The deadline for applications is 16 February 2018. All applications will be reviewed by the Royal Society and a decision will be made by 4 May 2018, applicants will be notified of the outcome shortly after this date.
Please contact us with any questions.