Apply to the scheme
The scheme is open to Royal Society University Research Fellows and Dorothy Hodgkin Fellows.
Applications for the next round of policy secondments are now open.
The application deadline has been extended to Wednesday 18 May 2022, 15:00 BST. To apply, please first login to your Flexi-Grant account and then click on the link below.
Please refer to the scheme guidance notes for further details about the scheme. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for a science policy secondment
What does the scheme involve?
A three month policy secondment (as a Policy Associate) on a full time basis or six to nine month policy secondment on a part-time basis within a science policy environment (e.g. central government department, devolved administration, decentralised agency or any other relevant public body).
The scope of the activities during the secondment will be agreed between the Policy Associate and the relevant host organisation; however, you will have the opportunity to:
- Receive first-hand experience of how scientific research and other evidence inform the policy making process
- Develop networks with policy organisations and officials in areas allied to your research interest
- Network with thought leaders in research, industry and policy
- Develop your understanding of potential routes to achieving research impact
Find out about previous Policy Associates' experiences by reading the case studies available at the links on the right hand side of this page.
When would I start?
The 2022-23 Science Policy Secondments are scheduled to start between September 2022 and March 2023.
Depending on the evolving situation and Government guidelines related to the COVID-19 pandemic, this secondment may wholly or partly be undertaken remotely as long as the host organisation is content with that arrangement.
What support is offered?
- Policy Associates may request travel and subsistence costs of up to £3,000 based on location and proximity to the host organisation.
- Research Fellows undertaking this secondment will be able to extend their fellowship by the period of the secondment (up to a maximum of three months). During the period of the secondment, Research Fellows will continue to be funded by the Royal Society.
Am I eligible to apply?
University Research Fellows and Dorothy Hodgkin Fellows applying to this scheme must have already completed the first year of their fellowship at the time of application. Those with less than 18 months left of their fellowship at the time of application are not eligible to apply. However, applications are discussed on a case-by-case basis and there might be some flexibility allowed.
How do I apply for this scheme?
Applications can only be submitted online using the Royal Society’s Grants and Awards management system (Flexi-Grant®) via the above link. If you have not previously used Flexi-Grant®, please follow the registration process from the Flexi-Grant®, homepage. Paper-based applications will not be accepted.
The deadline for applications has been extended to 15:00 BST on 18 May 2022. All applications will be reviewed by the Royal Society and a decision will be made by 30 June 2022. Applicants will be notified of the outcome shortly after this date.
Please contact Georgia Park via the Science Policy Centre with any questions.