Sustainability, energy efficiency and climate protection
16 May 2007
The national science academies of the G8 nations and Brazil, China, India, Mexico and South Africa have signed a statement on sustainability, energy efficiency and climate protection. The statement calls on world leaders, particularly those meeting at the G8 Summit in Heiligendamm in June 2007, to cooperate in identifying common strategic objectives for sustainable, efficient and climate friendly energy systems, and in implementing actions toward them. In particular, it urges them to:
- Set standards and promote economic instruments for efficiency, and commit to promoting energy efficiency for buildings, devices, motors, transportation systems and in the energy sector itself.
- Promote understanding of climate and energy issues and encourage necessary behavioural changes within our societies.
- Define and implement measures to reduce global deforestation.
- Strengthen economic and technological exchange with developing countries, in order to leapfrog to cleaner and more efficient modern technologies.
- Invest strongly in science and technology related to energy efficiency, zero-carbon energy resources and carbon-removing technologies.