Responses to the Ebola crisis in West Africa have shown major health and security challenges to managing global public health.
The independent Commission on a Global Health Risk Framework for the Future has been tasked with producing a comprehensive report of options for improving governance and finance for matters of global health security.
Focusing on the key themes of the Commission’s work: financing of public health, governance for global health, resilient health systems, and research and development of medical products, the event enabled a discussion with key stakeholders.
Sir John Beddington FRS Chaired a panel of speakers including:
- Dr Victor Dzau, President of The National Academy of Medicine, USA
- Peter Sands (Commission Chair), Former Group Chief Executive Officer Standard Chartered PLC and Senior Fellow at the Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government, Harvard Kennedy School
- Prof Lawrence O. Gostin (Commission Member) University Professor, Georgetown University and Director of the O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law (tbc)
- Prof Oyewale Tomori (Commission Vice-Chair), President, Nigerian Academy of Science, former Vice-Chancellor of Redeemer’s University, Nigeria and former Regional Virologist for the WHO Africa Region
- Dr Maria Freire (Commission Member), President of the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health, USA
Enquiries: contact the international team