This event is now full.
Research culture: Changing expectations will bring together intertwined debates around research assessment, career progression, researcher development, research dissemination and research integrity. This conference will showcase initiatives and work across the research landscape to continue to create and improve the cultural conditions and environments in which excellent research and researchers can flourish.
This landmark event, compèred by Professor Mark Miodownik FREng, will give attendees the opportunity to think creatively about how the culture of research can be different, to share and build on best practice across the sector, and develop new networks with individuals across the research landscape. Across the two days attendees will be invited to explore how the system and the behaviours of individuals in it can help to catalyse change. The conference will be the culmination of the Royal Society's two year programme on research culture.
The Pitch: ideas to positively change research culture
This competition is an exclusive opportunity to pitch an idea or scheme to improve research culture in the UK and potentially receive a small grant to support its implementation. Submitted ideas will be shortlisted and the groups or individuals behind the top three will be invited to pitch them on stage at the Research culture: Changing expectations event. A panel of judges will challenge and probe the pitches before deciding whether to award a small grant to support its implementation.
Entries to the competition are now closed. Full details can be found here.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Professor Jim Al-Khalili OBE FRS (theoretical physicist, author and broadcaster)
- Dr Eugenia Cheng (Scientist In Residence at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago)
- Dr Margaret Heffernan (author of Beyond Measure: the big impact of small changes)
- Sir John Kingman FRS, (Chair, UKRI)
- Liz Nicholl CBE (Chief Executive, UK Sport)
- Professor Venki Ramakrishnan PRS
- Dr Adam Rutherford (presenter of BBC's Inside Science)
- Robert-Jan Smits (Open Access Envoy of the European Commission)
- Dr Magdalena Skipper (Editor in Chief, Nature)
- Dame Julia Slingo FRS
- David Sweeney (Executive Chair, Research England)
- Sir Mark Walport FRS (Chief Executive, UKRI)
Download the full programme here.
Attending the event
- Research culture: Changing expectations is now fully subscribed
- The event will be livestreamed. Catch up:
Monday 29 October YouTube link
Tuesday 30 October YouTube link
For all enquiries, please contact email@example.com