Entries to The Pitch have now closed.
What is The Pitch competition?
This competition is an exclusive opportunity to pitch an idea or scheme to improve research culture in the UK and potentially receive a small grant to support its implementation. Submitted ideas will be shortlisted and the groups or individuals behind the top three will be invited to pitch them on stage at Research culture: Changing expectations. A panel of judges will challenge and probe the pitches before deciding whether the award a small grant to support its implementation.
The finalists have now been announced. Please see full list here (.pdf).
The Pitch judges:
- Chair: Professor Dame Wendy Hall FRS, Professor of Computer Science in Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton, and is a Director of the Web Science Institute
- Rebecca Endean, Director of Strategy for UK Research and Innovation
- Dr Steven Hill, Director of Research at Research England
- Dr Magdalena Skipper, Chief Editor at Nature
- Professor Paul Walton, Professor of Chemistry at York University, which is celebrating ten years of Athena SWAN Gold award, the longest held award at this level
Am I eligible to apply?
The Royal Society is looking for brilliant and innovative minds to help improve research culture. You can apply whether you are an early career researcher, technician, industry researcher, senior leader, business support officer, entrepreneur or professor. The idea proposed could be big or small and come from either an individual or a group. However, you may not enter on the behalf an organisation or society.
What criteria will the ideas be judged on?
Written entries will be judged on:
- potential impact
In addition to this, those given the opportunity to pitch to the panel will also be judged on:
- plans for implementation
- how the grant will be used to support the implementation
More information about criteria and eligibility can be found in the terms and conditions (PDF).
The top three shortlisted ideas will:
- get the opportunity to attend Research culture: Changing expectations
- meet and present their idea in front of the panel of expert judges who will probe and give feedback
- potentially receive a grant of £1000 to support the implementation of the idea (if two or more judges support the idea)
|12 July 2018
|| Competition opens
| 21 September 2018 (midnight CST)
|| Online applications close
| 05 October 2018
|| Shortlisted entries announced
| 29 October 2018
|| Top three entries pitch at Research culture: Changing expectations and winner(s) announced during event
Entrants are asked to fill in the application form before 7 September.
Please take a look at our research culture webpages.
We look forward to receiving your applications!