Reports and publications
DfES: The future of higher education
30 April 2003
The response sets out the Society’s main concerns on some of the future policies set out in the White paper including:
- The importance of developing policy for higher education in England in the context of the whole of the UK and also in line with the Bologna agreement.
- That research funding in England is already highly selective and that it should not be increased.
- That there are important linkages between research and the learning environment required for the UK honours degree.
- The urgent need to increase academic salaries.
- While supporting fully the Government’s aspirations for widening access to higher education, the Society is concerned that the new arrangements over fees may make higher education less attractive, and also reduce the demand for higher degrees.