Media skills training
This one day course develops skills in working with television, radio, newspapers and other media.
Television, radio and newspapers can be your best friend or your worst enemy. On this course you will discover how the media operates and be given the confidence to work with it. The experienced tutors will tell you how and why editors in all branches of the media decide what makes a story newsworthy.
You will be put on the spot yourself and trained to give relevant and relaxed interviews with concise key messages.
The course will show you how to prepare for these interviews, which will be recorded on a TV camera and played back to you.
Benefits for participants
- Inside knowledge of how the print and broadcast media operate and why
- Coaching on how to handle the media successfully - where the successes lie and where the mistakes are made
- Soft interview - to familiarise the interviewee with media techniques
- Hard interview - to practise handling controversial issues and performing under pressure
- Remote interview - to practise radio or tv interviews when the interviewer is not in the same room
- DVD recording of your interviews with constructive feedback
- Advice and discussion on pro-active ways to deal with all branches of the media
- Opportunity to meet and engage with like-minded scientists
- Advice from the Royal Society Press Office
About the tutors
This course is designed exclusively for scientists and is tutored by leading journalists and communications professionals, Judith Hann and John Exelby.
John was news editor at the BBC for five years and then moved into production, being in charge of the BBC's main news programmes. Judith was senior presenter of Tomorrow's World for 20 years, has had her own series on health, food and medicine and has written eight books. Her most recent book, 'How Science Works', has been translated into 20 languages and sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide.
‘It was an extremely helpful course and hope that many others are able to take advantage of it.’
‘I'd like to emphasize what a really valuable service providing these courses is. I really do appreciate having participated and the practise of preparation for the camera and marshalling a lucid yet succinct argument has been invaluable.’
‘They were excellent - the best training courses I have been on. I've recommended them to everyone I work with! Excellent - keep running these courses!’
Places will be reserved upon receipt of the booking email. Confirmation of your place will be made when your funding is confirmed. After you have submitted your registration and you have received a confirmation email from us, should you wish to cancel and it is at least 3 weeks in advance of the course date, you will receive a 50% refund; if you cancel with less than 3 weeks in advance or do not show then you will receive no refund.