Advice for students

The Royal Society does not offer funding or scholarships for students wishing to pursue courses at undergraduate or graduate (Masters or PhD) level. We do offer grants for postdoctoral funding.


The best source of advice about funding is the university or institution which runs the course you are seeking funding for. You might also find the Postgraduate StudentshipsTargetcourses and FindAPhD websites useful.

Seeking work experience
If you are interested in finding out more about what a career in science is like, then you might consider applying for a placement in a research lab, either in a university or with a science or engineering based company.

When approaching a university, contact the outreach officer or secretary of the relevant science department to see whether there is anyone willing to host you in their labs for a few weeks. Remember to state clearly what you hope to gain from the experience, and include a copy of your CV.

The following organisations have useful information about finding work experience and funding for placements:

The Royal Society occasionally has openings for work experience students, however please note that we do not carry out scientific research. Please contact the Human Resources department if you wish to make an enquiry.

Schemes for schools

Partnership Grants
This scheme helps schools to run exciting and innovative projects in partnership with a professional scientist or engineer.

Associate Schools and Colleges
A UK network of enthusiastic teachers who share their experience and work with us in order to help promote excellence in science and mathematics teaching.