Applying for this scheme
The Associate Schools and Colleges scheme is now closed for applications.
For information on how to apply, read the eligibility criteria and application guidelines.
Alternatively, contact us for more information about becoming an Associate School or College.
Any UK primary or secondary school or college may apply to join the Associate School and Colleges scheme as long as their students are aged between 5 and 18. Sixth form and FE colleges are eligible, provided the teachers involved in the scheme teach students aged under 19.
Membership of the scheme is through the school with a named lead teacher.
To apply for membership, the lead teacher should submit:
- A short statement (no more than a page) about why they wish to join the scheme. This should include examples of how the school engages their students with science and mathematics and what actions they are taking to promote excellence in science. It should also explain how the school can contribute to the Royal Society’s work.
- A letter of support from the Head Teacher.
- The name and contact details of a reference either from the local community or someone who has worked on a STEM project with you (STEM ambassadors, professional associations, learned societies, local outreach provider, museums, etc)
A summary of the scheme is available for download (PDF). Applications should be emailed to email@example.com.
Membership is for two years, with the possibility of extending further. During the course of those two years, the school will need to engage with the Royal Society at least once.
Examples of engagement type include:
- Responding to a survey on matters of education policy, such as the National Curriculum review
- Taking part in events and activities
- Giving us your views on our outreach work
- Assisting in the work of our Education Research Fellows.
Participating schools and colleges
Learn more about the participating schools and colleges in the Associate Schools and Colleges scheme.