The objectives of this scheme are to:
- promote collaboration across disciplines, with a particular emphasis on the boundary between science, engineering and the social sciences and humanities
- support outstanding interdisciplinary research which is unlikely to be supported through conventional funding programmes
- support researchers with an outstanding track record, in developing their research in a new direction through collaboration with partners from other disciplines
- enable outstanding researchers to focus on advancing their innovative research through seed funding
Am I eligible to apply?
Your application must be within the remit of more than one of the Academies. Applications which span the remit of the British Academy and the Royal Academy of Engineering are encouraged.
You can apply for this scheme if you are:
- a researcher with a strong track record as an established independent researcher (this can include engineering researchers, humanities and social sciences scholars and scientists)
- based at a UK university or not-for-profit research institution for at least the duration of the project
Applicants will be expected to collaborate with a research partner from a different discipline from their own or a different university in the UK.
Before applying, please ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes. Please also refer to the FAQs (PDF) for further guidance.
What is the scheme’s value and tenure?
This scheme provides funding for up to 24 months:
- An award of up to £100,000
- Costs to relieve the applicant and/or co-applicant from some of their teaching and administrative duties
- Up to 25% of the total award can be spent on research costs
In addition to the main APEX Award, successful award holders will be eligible to apply for an APEX Public Engagement Grant, to support public engagement activities around their interdisciplinary research project. Grants of up to £10,000 will be available for successful award holders, and further information and support will be available for applicants who are successful at the shortlisting stage. All awards must start between 1 September 2021 and 1 November 2021.
What is the application process?
Applications should be submitted through the Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant®.
Your application will go through the process detailed on the Making a grant application page overseen by the APEX Awards Panel.
You will be notified of the result of the application process in July 2021.
We are committed to supporting applicants with disabilities. If you require a reasonable adjustment during the application process, please contact the team APEX@royalsociety.org to let us know.
Further information regarding previous award winners can be found in the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 press releases.
A webinar was held on 7 September 2020 with information about how to put together a high quality and competitive application to the APEX Award. A recording of this webinar can be found on the event page.
For more information regarding the scheme, please contact the Grants team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +44 20 7451 2666.