The global threats of climate change, rising carbon dioxide levels and dwindling natural resources are possibly the most significant challenges facing mankind today.
This project aims to deliver efficient replacements for fossil fuel sources. The target materials are porous solid stores of renewable energy and catalysts for the sustainable production of renewable bio-fuels.
Proposed benefits to researchers and institutions
- New resources and access to state-of-the-art equipment
- Established research capacity in porous energy materials in the African partner institutions such that they are internationally recognized centres for renewable energy and sustainable research
- Flourishing and viable graduate training schemes that directly feed into capacity building in the partner institutions
- Training of other personnel such as technicians and post-doctoral researchers
Proposed benefits of research to society
- Boost to research in the renewable energy field and greatly enhance the UK and African partners’ international competitiveness
- African economic growth as the materials to be investigated during this project will be synthesised using African resources
- Increased capacity to address Africa’s sustainable energy needs
- Job creation as a result of any new technology
- Reduction of reliance on fossil fuels