The Industry Fellowship is part of the Royal Society's wider Science and Industry Programme which strives to promote the value and importance of science by connecting academia, industry and government.
The Industry Fellowship scheme is open to academic and industrial researchers from early to senior career stages based in the UK (see below and in the scheme notes for for eligibility information). The aims of the scheme are to:
- Support the mobility of excellent academic or industrial researchers between in two sectors in the UK, across the natural sciences.
- Enable the Industry Fellow to develop and establish collaborative links between the academic and industrial organisations, which may lead to longer term collaborations.
- Support the career development of the Industry Fellow, and their team, through the cross-sector collaborative research experience afforded by the fellowship.
- Enhance knowledge exchange in science and technology between industry and academia.
The scheme provides a basic salary for the researcher and a contribution towards research costs.
The scheme is currently funded by the Royal Society and Rolls-Royce plc.
For shorter term collaborative projects between industry and academia, see the Short Industry Fellowship.
Research must be within the Royal Society’s remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to biological research, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics. For a full list, please see the breakdown of subject groups and areas supported by the Royal Society.
Am I eligible to apply?
You can apply for this scheme if you:
- have a PhD or are of equivalent standing in your profession
- hold a permanent post in a university, not-for-profit research organisation or industry in the UK
- are at a stage in your career when you would particularly benefit from establishing or strengthening personal or corporate links between academia and industry as a foundation for long-term collaboration and development
You should clearly state how the fellowship will benefit the not-for-profit research organisation and the industrial partner, including any potential to lead to longer-term collaboration.
We actively seek applications from underrepresented groups to increase the diversity of our grant holders with a focus on improved gender balance, greater representation from BAME groups and wider UK institutional reach.
Before applying, please ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes.
What is the scheme’s value and tenure?
The scheme provides the applicant’s basic salary while on secondment. The employing organisation continue to pay national insurance and pension contributions.
Research expenses may be claimed up to the value of £4,000 per year. Awards can be for any period up to two years full-time or a maximum of four years pro rata, i.e. an award could be held at 50% part-time for four years enabling fellows to maintain links with their employing institution more easily.
What is the application process?
Applications should be submitted through the Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant®.
Your application will go through the process detailed on the Making a grant application page overseen by the Industry Fellowship panel.
Applications are initially assessed by panel members and a shortlist is drawn up. Shortlisted applications are then sent for independent review and are finally considered at a panel meeting.
It is expected that applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application four months after the closing date.
We are committed to supporting applicants with disabilities. If you require a reasonable adjustment during the application process, please contact the team firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Find out more about the Royal Society's Science and Industry programme.
For more information regarding the scheme, please contact the Grants team on email@example.com or call us on +44 20 7451 2666.