The scheme, which is funded by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), provides the opportunity for highly qualified early career researchers to conduct cooperative research with leading research groups in universities and other Japanese institutions. The Royal Society is provided with a quota for this scheme by JSPS.
Am I eligible to apply?
Research must be within the Royal Society’s remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to biological research, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics. For a full list, please see the breakdown of subject groups and areas supported by the Royal Society.
Applications for research in the social sciences should apply through The British Academy.
You can apply for this scheme if you:
- have a PhD, or will have a PhD by the time the funding starts
- have not received your PhD more than six year prior to application
- are a UK resident and citizen of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- have a research proposal agreed with a Japanese host scientist
The scheme is not open to applicants who have previously been awarded a fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme for Foreign Researchers (excluding the Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme (Short Term Award) for North American and European Researchers and the Summer Programme).
Before applying, please ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes.
What is the scheme’s value and tenure?
The scheme provides funding for between 12 months and two years, covering:
- a round-trip air ticket
- a monthly maintenance allowance of 362,000 yen (approximately £2500)
- a settling-in allowance of 200,000 yen (approximately £1400)
- overseas travel accident and sickness insurance coverage
- a research grant, “Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research” (Tokubetsu Kenkyuin Shorei-hi) is available to cover cooperative research-related expenses. Application for these grants is made by the Japanese host researcher through their institution
What is the application process?
Applications should be submitted through the Royal Society’s grants and awards management system Flexi-Grant®.
We are committed to supporting applicants with disabilities. If you require a reasonable adjustment during the application process, please contact the team International.firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Applications are initially reviewed by panel members with the most appropriate scientific expertise. Following this a shortlist is drawn up which is sent to JSPS for a final decision.
Applicants will be notified of the result by JSPS.
Please note that this scheme is offered by JSPS and is subject to their terms and conditions. Applicants should read through all the information offered on the JSPS website before applying to ensure they fully understand the terms of the award.
For more information regarding the scheme, please contact the Grants team on International.email@example.com or call us on +44 20 7451 2666.