Applying for this scheme
This scheme is now open for applications and will close at 3pm on Wednesday 26 September 2018.
Please read the eligibility and judging criteria and our advice on preparing your application.
Please note that applications are made using the Royal Society's grants and awards management system, Flexi-Grant®. You will be required to register before you can start your application.
Apply for this scheme on Flexi-Grant®
The scheme provides grants of up to £3,000 to small museums, funding projects that tell the stories of science and scientists relevant to communities across the UK.
We want to fund projects that
- highlight the topics, stories and people that are relevant to your local community
- present science in new and interesting ways
- encourage participation and involvement of the local community
- provoke curiosity, interest and enthusiasm among those that take part
We are particularly interested in projects that
- explore the experiences of historically underrepresented people
- are led by organisations that don’t normally feature scientific content
- involve partners that can enhance the project’s outcomes, impact or quality
- reach audiences who do not normally engage with science
A note on Local Heroes
Institutions that were funded by the Local Heroes scheme in 2016 are eligible to apply, but in order to spread the benefits of funding and put limited funding to the best use, the panel will favour applications from those not previously funded.
Applications from museums who were unsuccessful in 2016 are welcome and encouraged.
Please direct all enquiries to David Chapman at email@example.com.