Our key recommendations for the Government to take forward in this year’s Budget include:
- Ensure Government spending on R&D keeps pace with other nations, and establish a long-term strategy for science, research and innovation that commands cross party support.
- Mirror progress on the Northern Ireland protocol by preparing the ground to secure Horizon Europe association at the earliest opportunity
- Reduce work and study visa fees in line with other leading science nations.
- Reconsider proposed cuts to the SME R&D tax credit scheme, which risk disincentivising innovation among smaller companies.
- Introduce an evidence-led UK technology roadmap to guide investment to fledgling sectors and technologies that will be critical for delivering net zero.
- Establish data informed, cross departmental land use frameworks to manage land use trade-offs.
- Pursue a major review of the secondary and post-16 education systems in England, including exploring alternatives to the current narrow A level examinations.