The event explored the shortlist from the Royal Society Insight Investment Science Book Prize and discovered the most inspirational popular science books and authors of the year.
Selected from hundreds of entries, our six shortlisted books tackle some of life’s biggest questions ranging from human enhancement and gender identity to the evolution of intelligent life. Gain insight into the latest scientific thinking and learn about the complexity of the ecosystems inside us, the puzzling concept of infinity or the current struggles in Alzheimer’s research.
The event discussion, hosted by Professor Brian Cox, featured some of the inspiring authors behind these literary works. Questions were taken to the panel and we learnt about their influences, and how a good science book can have the power to change lives.
Kindly supported by Insight Investment.
For all enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our 2017 shortlisted books are:
- Beyond Infinity: An Expedition to the Outer Limits of the Mathematical Universe by Eugenia Cheng
- Testosterone Rex: Unmaking the Myths of Our Gendered Minds by Cordelia Fine
- Other Minds: The Octopus and the Evolution of Intelligent Life by Peter Godfrey-Smith
- In Pursuit of Memory: The Fight Against Alzheimer's by Joseph Jebelli
- To Be a Machine: Adventures Among Cyborgs, Utopians, Hackers, and the Futurists Solving the Modest Problem of Death by Mark O'Connell
- I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life by Ed Yong
Find out more about the Royal Society Insight investment Science Book Prize, our current shortlist and how we are celebrating our 30th anniversary.