This event is part of a series of lightning lectures for the Royal Society’s 2021 Summer Science digital showcase.
Millions of harmless bacteria live on your skin, some especially like environment in the armpit. Image credit: Michelle Rudden, University of York
Everybody can recognise the unmistakable aroma of body odour, but did you know that it is caused by bacteria living in our armpits? These bacteria break down molecules in sweat, causing the smelly by-product we know.
Hear from Dr Julia Humes and the team of researchers who are looking at how and why the bacteria do this, and how this knowledge might help us develop better deodorants.
- Dr Julia Humes, Research Associate, University of Oxford
Attending this event online
- The event will be livestreamed on the Royal Society YouTube channel on Sunday 11 July 2021 at 10.45am BST
- The event will also be available afterwards on our YouTube channel
- This event is suitable for ages 14+
- This event is free to join and there is no registration required
- Live subtitles will be available
- Part of Summer Science 2021
- Share on social media using #SummerScience
- For all enquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org