Nutrition plays a profoundly important role in health and wellbeing. Poor nutrition is a leading cause of chronic disease, including type 2 diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, cardiovascular disease, and various forms of cancer. With an increasingly overweight and ageing UK population, the incidence of such diseases and the associated healthcare costs continue to rise.
This conference will examine advances being made in the science of human nutrition by bringing together speakers from both industry and academia. The conference will discuss how scientific breakthroughs can be translated into effective strategies for improved health, including the prevention and management of chronic disease.
A cross-sector panel discussion will seek to identify the barriers to translation and the important knowledge gaps in the field. It will also discuss how these can be addressed through further research and innovation in both the commercial sector and academia.
The conference will conclude with a keynote from Henry Dimbleby MBE, co-founder of the Sustainable Restaurant Association, who will consider emerging themes from the conference and the future of human nutrition.
About the conference series
This scientific meeting is part of the Royal Society's Transforming our Future conference series. These meetings are unique, high-level events that address the scientific and technical challenges of the next decade. Each conference features cutting edge science from industry and academia and brings together leading experts from the scientific community, including regulatory, charity and funding bodies.
Attending this event
- This will be a hybrid event, with online attendance open to all
- In-person attendance is by invitation only, and is free
- There are 15 in-person tickets reserved for early career researchers. If you are a member of the Nutrition Society, please email the Nutrition Society membership team to take one of these places. Otherwise email the Royal Society Industry team.
- Please register to attend online
- For the programme, scroll down and click on the arrows to see the speakers and abstracts for their talks
- The Royal Society has an acceptable use policy for all online events, and we expect our users to abide by these guidelines
- For any queries or accessibility requirements, please email the Industry Team
Nutrition Society winter conference
The Nutrition Society's winter conference - on diet and lifestyle strategies for prevention and management of multimorbidity - is taking place on 5 and 6 December, also held at the Royal Society. These two events are separate but we encourage anyone attending the Nutrition Society conference to get in touch with the Royal Society Industry team with any enquiries. Online attendance to the Nutrition Society conference is also available via the Nutrition Society website.