Summer Science Exhibition proposals
A unique opportunity to showcase your research at the UK’s most prestigious science exhibition. The call for proposals for the 2016 Summer Science Exhibition is now open.
Deadline: Monday 21 September 2015
Each year over 10,000 members of the public and 2,000 school students visit the Summer Science Exhibition. Many more are reached through coverage on TV, in the media and online.
The Exhibition provides a unique opportunity to raise the profile of your research, technology or institution with key influencers, including potential funders, government and the public.
The Summer Science Exhibition Committee will invite 22 exhibits, from a broad range of scientific disciplines, to take part in the 2016 Summer Science Exhibition.
Selection will be based on:
- The quality and cutting-edge nature of the science: The science on show should be ground-breaking and of potential interest to the media.
- The potential for interactive and hands-on elements: Wherever possible, exhibits should contain elements that visitors can touch and try out to understand the scientific concepts behind the research.
- Interest of the subject matter to a broad audience: Visitors particularly like exhibits that are relevant to them or their experience.
If selected, what will be required of the exhibitor?
- Design and build exhibit stand. (Sizes: 4m x 2m; 3m x 3m)
- Develop interactive activities and hands-on demonstrations for a public audience.
- Source funding for your exhibit. (Approx. costs £10,000 - £20,000)
- Staff your exhibit during exhibition week. (Approx. 4 staff members at all times)
What support will the Royal Society provide?
- Advice on planning, designing and building an exhibit.
- Run a compulsory Planning Day in January to give an introduction to the Exhibition process.
- Run two communication skills training courses for exhibit teams.
- Coordinate an extensive promotion and publicity strategy.
- Produce the Exhibition website.
- During the exhibition provide:
- The venue: The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London
- Basic exhibition supplies (Tables and clothes, poster boards and lights, extension leads)
- Wifi access
- A Green Room
- Tea, coffee, biscuits and water for exhibit groups throughout the Exhibition week
- £400 towards lunch costs for each exhibit group
- Offer a hardship grant application for exhibits struggling to find funding.
- Circulate an evaluation report with statistics to report to funders.