The report sets detection technologies in the wider context of efforts towards improving nuclear security worldwide. It outlines the key technical challenges facing nuclear and radiological detection and sets out foreseeable technological developments. Finally it summarises cross-cutting issues and presents the key points that emerged at the workshop, which included:
- The requirement for robust prevention, detection and response capabilities to ensure nuclear security.
- The importance of systems analysis and networking of detectors.
- The value of aerial detection systems in preventative and responsive roles.
- The need for improved nuclear forensics capabilities.
- The requirement for increased international cooperation and coordination.