The conference will consider scientific evidence that appears in court today as well as emerging areas of science, including neuroscience, human enhancement and climate change attribution, that may appear in the courts in the coming years.
The conference is part of the Science and Law programmes at the National Academy of Science and the Royal Society. Find out more about the Royal Society's Science and the Law programme.
The conference is led by:
- Dame Anne Rafferty DBE, former Lady Justice of Appeal of England and Wales
- Judge David Tatel, US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit
- Lord Anthony Hughes of Ombersley PC, former judge of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
- Dr Anne-Marie Mazza, Senior Director of the National Academy of Sciences
- Dr Julie Maxton CBE, Executive Director of the Royal Society
- David Baltimore, President Emeritus and Judge Shirley Hufstedler Professor of Biology, the California Institute of Technology
It is hoped that this will be the first in a series of joint international Science and Law meetings in the coming years.
Attending this event
- This will be a hybrid event
- In-person attendance is by invitation only
- For virtual attendance, please sign up using the link on this page
- For the programme, scroll down and click on the arrows to see the speakers and abstracts for their talks
- The Royal Society has an acceptable use policy for all online events, and we expect our users to abide by these guidelines
- For any queries or accessibility requirements, please email the Royal Society Science and the Law programme team.