It distils two urgent messages. The first is the need to place science and innovation at the heart of the UK's long-term strategy for economic growth. The second is the fierce competitive challenge we face from countries which are investing at a scale and speed that we may struggle to match.
The report makes six recommendations around the long-term support and investment in science:
- Put science and innovation at the heart of a strategy for long-term economic growth;
- Prioritise investment in excellent people;
- Strengthen Government’s use of science;
- Reinforce the UK’s position as a hub for global science and innovation;
- Better align science and innovation with global challenges;
- Revitalise science and mathematics education.
Read the related press release here.