1. This competition is organised by The Royal Society of London for Improving Natural Knowledge (known simply as 'The Royal Society') of 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AG, registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales under number 207043.
How to enter
2. The opening date for entries is 5.00pm on 29 March 2019. The closing date of the prize draw is 11.59pm on 19 July 2019. Entries received after this time will not be accepted.
3. All entries must be submitted by a SmartSurvey form, with all required fields completed. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with SmartSurvey.
4. The competition is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
5. The Royal Society will not accept:
(a) responsibility for entries that are lost, mislaid, damaged or delayed in transit, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any postal failure, equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind; or
(b) proof of posting or transmission as proof of receipt of entry to the competition.
6. By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions. A copy of these terms and conditions is available on our website: https://royalsociety.org/about-us/terms-conditions-policies/competition-terms-conditions/school-photography-competition. If you have any questions, please contact the Schools Engagement team via firstname.lastname@example.org
7. The Royal Society reserves the right to refuse entry, or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
8. The competition is open to all UK schools who have at least one teacher signed up to the Royal Society Schools Network at the time the competition closes for entries. The students who have given photographs for submission must be in the school year 7, 8 or 9 (equivalent in Scotland P7, S1 and S2 and in Northern Ireland P7, Year 8 and Year 9.) during the academic year 2018/19. This would make the students aged between 11 and 15 during the duration of the competition. Proof of age may be required.
9. Entrants under 18 must get consent from their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) before entering the competition. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of entrants under 18 agree to these Terms and Conditions on behalf of the entrant.
10. Only one entry of up to three photographs per school is permitted. Schools may ask for additional photos to be entered and this may be allowed on a case by case basis, but highlighted to the judges.
11. In entering the competition, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and eligible to claim any prize you may win. The Royal Society may require you to provide proof that you are eligible to enter the competition.
12. The Royal Society reserves all rights to disqualify you if your conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the competition.
13. The competition entries will be judged by a panel of four judges based on two key criteria: they should be aesthetically pleasing, and convey an interesting scientific phenomenon. A list of the judges can be viewed at https://royalsociety.org/journals/publishing-activities/photo-competition/judges/ or by emailing the Schools Engagement team via email@example.com.
14. The school from whom the winning entry is chosen will receive a framed A4 certificate with school name, photography competition name and winning image, and a pack of Postcards featuring the winning photograph. The student of the winning entry will also receive a framed A4 certificate and small pack of postcards. A runner up will also be chosen and the school and student will both receive a framed A4 certificate with school name, photography competition name and runner up image.
15. The winner will be notified by email (using details provided at entry) within 28 days of being chosen and must provide a postal address to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to the Royal Society within 30 days of being notified, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Royal Society will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
16. The prize will be sent to the winner by post within 56 days of responding to the Royal Society.
17. The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered. The Royal Society reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Royal Society's control makes it necessary to do so.
18. The decision of the Royal Society regarding any aspect of the competition is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
19. The winner’s school name and county can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the Schools Engagement Team, Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House terrace, London, SW1Y 5AG or an email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 60 days of the closing date of the prize draw. The winner's school name will also be published on the Royal Society Schools Network blog.
20. The Royal Society reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend, or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so.
Limitation of liability
21. Insofar as is permitted by law, the Royal Society, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Royal Society, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Ownership of competition entries
22. Competition entries cannot be returned.
23. Any entry must be your original work and it must not infringe the rights of third parties including copyright, trade mark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights. You agree to indemnify the Royal Society against any claim from any third party for any breach of this clause.
24. Full copyright title shall be retained by the author of any entry. By submitting your competition entry and any accompanying material (including any text, photographs, graphics, video or audio), you agree that the Royal Society may, but is not required to, make your entry available on its website royalsociety.org and any other media including social media in connection with any publicity of the competition or otherwise, and may use the winning and shortlisted images and the descriptions provided with them for use in the Society’s printable resources for teachers. You agree to grant the Royal Society a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence, for the full period of any intellectual property rights in the competition entry and any accompanying materials, to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format and sub-licence the competition entry and any accompanying materials for any legitimate purposes, including, but not limited to, marketing, publicity, advertising, fundraising and presentations.
25. By submitting an entry, you agree to waive any moral rights contained in your entry.
26. For the avoidance of doubt, by submitting your entry you warrant that all persons featured in your entry have given you their express consent for their image to be used and, in the case of vulnerable adults or persons under 18 years of age, you warrant that you have obtained express consent from their parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
Data protection and publicity
28. By entering the competition, you agree that any personal information provided by you with your entry may be held and used by the Royal Society or its agents and suppliers to administer the competition.
29. Winners may be required to participate in publicity related to the competition which may include the publication of their name and photograph in any media. You agree that your personal data may be used for this purpose.
30. The competition will be governed by English law and entrants to the competition to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
31. The Royal Society reserves the right to update these Terms and Conditions from time to time and any updated version will be effective as soon as it is published on the website https://royalsociety.org/about-us/terms-conditions-policies/.